Veggie Tuna Melts
"I created this recipe when I got married 20 years ago and have served it countless times since then," writes Marilyn Smelser of Albany, Oregon, "Sometimes I add a little chili powder, heap the tuna mixture over tortilla chips instead and microwave for hearty nachos."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 4-1/2 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- 8 thin slices tomato
- In a large bowl, combine the tuna, red pepper, mushrooms, cheese and olives. Fold in mayonnaise. Spread over English muffin halves. Top each with a tomato slice.
- Broil 6 in. from the heat for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 165 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Open-Face Tuna Melts in Light & Tasty April/May 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.