Veggie Tomato Juice
Gather fresh vegetables from your garden and blend this thick and mellow beverage. "A friend gave me the recipe years ago, and I've been making it ever since," says Marge Hodel of Roanoke, Illinois. "It's also wonderful in recipes that call for tomato juice."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 16 cups quartered ripe tomatoes (about 7 pounds)
- 3 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked peeled beets
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, combine all the ingredients; crush the tomatoes slightly. Bring to a boil. Reduced heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Cool.
- Press mixture through a food mill or fine sieve. Refrigerate or freeze. Shake or stir well before serving.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 100 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 669mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Veggie Tomato Juice in Taste of Home June/July 2002