These sushi rolls are great a finger food, side or even main course. They're versatile and can be made with any veggies you like. Kids have fun making them.—Sarah Christenson, San Diego, California
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups sushi rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- Bamboo sushi mat
- 7 nori sheets
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and julienned
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup julienned daikon radish
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce and prepared wasabi
- In a large saucepan, combine rice and water; let stand for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer rice to a large shallow bowl; drizzle with vinegar mixture. With a wooden paddle or spoon, stir rice with a slicing motion to cool slightly. Cover with a damp cloth to keep moist. (Rice mixture may be made up to 6 hours ahead and stored at room temperature, covered with a damp towel. Do not refrigerate.)
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Place sushi mat on a work surface so mat rolls away from you; line with plastic wrap. Place 2/3 cup rice on plastic; with moistened fingers, press rice into an 8-in. square. Top with one nori sheet.
- Arrange a small amount of vegetables and avocado about 1-1/2 in. from bottom edge of nori sheet. Lifting bottom edge of the bamboo mat, roll up the rice mixture jelly-roll style, being sure to lift plastic from rice. Roll bamboo mat over sushi roll, pressing firmly, to make a more compact roll. When the roll is complete, tighten the roll to make more compact. Remove mat; cover roll and set aside. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make seven rolls.
- Cut each into six pieces. Serve with soy sauce and wasabi. Yield: 42 rolls.
Originally published as Veggie Sushi Rolls in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p204