"I discovered this recipe while trying to spruce up plain vegetables for dinner guests," recalls Monica Meek Flatford of Knoxville, Tennessee. A mild spice blend coats colorful skewers of fresh zucchini, summer squash and mushrooms.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 pound whole fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- On metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Brush some of the mixture over vegetables.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning and basting occasionally with herb mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 213 calories, 19g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 303mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Veggie Skewers in Quick Cooking September/October 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.