Veggie Shrimp Egg Rolls
These wonderful appetizers will be the hit of your next cocktail party. They're versatile in that you can replace the shrimp with cooked crab, lobster or chicken. The tangy, apricot dipping sauce comes together in a pinch.—Carole Resnick, Cleveland, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + standing Cook: 10 min./batch
Makes38 egg rolls
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup canned bean sprouts, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 38 wonton wrappers
- APRICOT-MUSTARD DIPPING SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup apricot spreadable fruit
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- In a large skillet, saute ginger and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the shrimp, onions, carrot, red pepper, bean sprouts, water and soy sauce; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and shrimp turn pink.
- Reduce heat to low; cook for 4-5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place a tablespoonful of shrimp mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper. (Keep wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling. Fold sides toward center over filling. Moisten remaining corner with water; roll up tightly to seal.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook egg rolls, a few at a time, in remaining oil for 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a blender, combine the sauce ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Serve with egg rolls.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 108 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Simply Wonderful Cocktail Egg Rolls w/ Apricot-mus in Light & Tasty April/May 2006
Jul 17, 2009
I'm looking forward to trying these. I have used recipes from Taste of Nome, since it was published. I'm happy to be able to get a new recipe, at anytime on the Web.
Sep 30, 2008
This is fine.