Veggie-Sausage Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 each medium green and sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- In a large skillet, saute the onions, peppers and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the sausage, potatoes, cream-style corn, broth, soup, carrots, corn, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard and seasonings.Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cheese and milk. Cook on low 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Stir until blended.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 260 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 820mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 19, 2010
Sorry, I forgot to givr it 5 stars.
Nov 19, 2010
This was a very good and filling recipe. I left out the corn (both creamed corn and corn kernels) and, unfortunately, I realized too late I did not have any Dijorn Mustard, so I used about 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard. I also used a 10 ounce package of sliced mushrooms (which was about 2 cups). Other than that I followed the recipe exactly and it was very good.