Veggie Rice Casserole
As an avid gardener and occasional cook, I use fresh vegetables and herbs when trying out new recipes on my wife and children. This zesty rice dish always pleases.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 3 teaspoons dill weed, divided
- 2 teaspoons celery salt, divided
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup diced hot banana peppers or hot peppers of your choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil; add rice. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in the parsley, 2 teaspoons dill and 1 teaspoon celery salt; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the carrots, tomato, green pepper, onion, celery and hot peppers in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the soup, milk, basil, thyme, pepper and remaining dill and celery salt.
- Divide half of the rice mixture between two greased 11x7-in. baking dishes. Top with vegetable mixture and remaining rice mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 128 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable Rice Casserole in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003