"Even our five children enjoy the crunchy vegetable filling in these handy meatless sandwiches," remarks June Ballard of Weston, Idaho. "It's a great way to use a variety of garden produce."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cauliflowerets, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup each grated carrot, red cabbage and yellow summer squash
- 6 pita breads (6 inches), halved and warmed
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- In a saucepan, cook onions in oil until tender. Add barbecue sauce; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add broccoli and cauliflower; heat through. Stir in mayonnaise, carrot, cabbage and squash; heat through.
- Fill each pita half with about 2 tablespoons lettuce and 1/2 cup vegetable mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 143 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Veggie Pockets in Taste of Home June/July 2000
Jan 28, 2010
A very tasty, quick, and easy weeknight dinner - with lots of healthy veggies to boot! I used Vegenaise vegan mayo and butternut squash, and halved the recipe, since there were only two of us.