Veggie Mushroom Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute the onion, peppers and celery in oil for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; saute 3 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the rice, water and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Carefully transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 154 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jan 15, 2017
Made this tonight and was very disappointed. No one felt that it had any flavor other than the rubbed sage. Maybe replacing the water with vegetable broth might help but the recipe as-is is very, very bland.
Mar 28, 2009
I served this with bbq ribs and it was a nice change from typical baked beans. Next day it was served as a salad - cold with some asparagus and lemon juice added.