A vegetable puree lends to this bread's lovely light texture. Made with egg whites, this bread is lower in fat and cholesterol than other breads.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large celery rib, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups whole wheat flour
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a blender or food processor, combine the milk, oil, egg whites, honey and vegetables. Cover and process until smooth. Add cornmeal, salt and vegetable mixture to yeast mixture; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide in half. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 114 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Veggie Loaves in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.