A vegetable puree lends to this bread's lovely light texture. Made with egg whites, this bread is lower in fat and cholesterol than other breads.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large celery rib, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups whole wheat flour
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a blender or food processor, combine the milk, oil, egg whites, honey and vegetables. Cover and process until smooth. Add cornmeal, salt and vegetable mixture to yeast mixture; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide in half. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in the refrigerator.