Veggie Egg Casserole
A few years ago, I worked in the kitchen at Delaware’s first oncology camp for kids. I ended up making a variety of breakfast casseroles that week, and this is the one the campers loved most. We even used the leftovers to supplement our dinner one evening.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 25 min.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Scrub and pierce potatoes. Bake at 400° for 45-50 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel and cube potatoes. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender. Add potatoes and seasoned salt; cook until lightly browned. Stir in broccoli.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg substitute, salt and pepper. Add cheese; pour over potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Or, before baking, cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.