Veggie Corn Muffins
These muffins go with so many main courses. We love to add healthy ingredients to all our recipes. I welcome the challenge, and it’s something my family appreciates. —Peggie Brott, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flours, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk, oil and honey. Add to cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in vegetables. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 12-15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, microwave each muffin on high until warmed, 30-45 seconds.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 159 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Veggie-licious Cornbread Muffins in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.