We love to add a healthy ingredient to all of our recipes. I like to see this as a challenge, and it's something my family appreciates. —Peggie Brott, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Recommended: 25 Surprising Ways to Use Jiffy Mix
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flours, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk, oil and honey. Add to cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in vegetables. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 12-15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, microwave each muffin on high until warmed, 30-45 seconds. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Veggie Corn Muffins in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p202