Veggie Corn Cakes
In Fountaintown, Indiana, Cindy Neville whips up these pretty brown pancakes chock-full of corn and vegetables and a zippy hint of hot pepper sauce for extra spice at mealtime.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 14 tablespoons salsa
- 7 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, corn, onion, peppers and hot pepper sauce; stir into dry ingredients until well blended.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet coated with cooking spray; drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle. Fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 223 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Veggie Corn Cakes in Light & Tasty August/September 2005