- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, broth, carrots and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add corn, milk, cheese, mushrooms and pepper; cook and stir 4-6 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon bits. Yield: 7 servings (1-3/4 quarts).
Reviews forVeggie Chowder
"Great color thick and so flavorful!"
"I just made this soup for the second time. It really benefits from a couple dashes of Frank’s red hot. It is the perfect accompaniment to sandwiches."
"This is a good, easy to make chowder. You can use any veggies in place of the potatoes and carrots. Always good with any veggies. Nice chowder to make for a weeknight dish."
"It was ok, too sweet for my taste, there are better potato soup recipes."
"Such a good recipe to adjust as needed. I added last nights left over shrimp soup and more red pepper flakes. Also added a bit of macaroni (love the stuff). Also cut up some bacon and browned that in bottom of sauce pan and went on from there. Very tasty... will use this again!"
"I went to the store on my way home from work to buy the can of cream corn and bacon bits and I am glad that I did. This is a great soup. I added celery to this recipe. It turned out great!"
"I loved this soup and would recommend it."
"I'm vegetarian, so I used veggie broth instead of chicken broth, peas instead of carrots, added a little salt, opted out of the bacon and sauteed the onion with some fresh garlic and a dash of butter before throwing it in the pan. I also cooked everything in a slow cooker for a couple hours instead of on the stove. Tasted fabulous! We ate ours with a couple hot sandwiches. A cozy and filling meal."
"This was decent and quick, but I felt it was somewhat bland. I would have added more mushrooms, but sauteed them first in a skillet."
"Delicious recipe! I was amazed that such a creamy chowder could be made without cream, and the potatoes are so tender! I made a few changes the second time I made this just for family tastes. I added some diced chicken breast since we ate this as a meal instead of a side, I also added garlic salt and Italian seasoning (could just be the Italian in me). Beyond that we did double the mushrooms used because we are all big fans of mushrooms, even though we wouldn't be fighting over them in the original recipe. Again, the original was so great, and my family loved it. Great job!"