- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 pita pocket halves
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, carrots, broccoli and peas in oil for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the chicken, red peppers, wine, oregano and cayenne; heat through. Spoon mixture into pita breads; sprinkle with cheeses. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forVeggie Chicken Pitas
"This was absolutely delicious! Definitely on the spicy side, so you might want to use less cayenne pepper if serving it to young kids, but I liked it as is. You could also cool it a bit with some ranch or some red pepper hummus as a condiment. I loved that they were warm pita sandwiches! Very comforting on a cold day. I used a 6 oz. bag of Perdue Southwestern seasoned chicken breast strips in place of plain chicken for extra flavor and convenience. These sandwiches had so many vegetables...a nice variety...and they cooked down nicely and blended together well in terms of flavors. I would definitely make this again!"
"Great recipe. I liked the idea of making it into a wrap rather than using pita bread, so that's what I did. Dipped it in a little fat free Ranch dressing. We loved it!!"
"This was terrific! I've been trying to incorporate more vegetables into our diet and this certainly did just that. Whats better-my young son who does not like vegetables really enjoyed this. I did not have any snow peas so I simply left them out. I used garlic salt in place of the minced garlic and I chopped up a fresh red pepper to replace the jar of peppers. I sauteed the pepper with the other vegetables. I plan to put this is pitas next time, but today I had tortilla shells that I needed to use so I made this into a wrap instead. Still great!"
"Very delicious! I replaced the broccoli and peas with a little bit of chopped celery. I also did not put the red peppers in, and I added about 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt. Still delicious!"
"Extremely tasty, my husband just loved this recipe and it was very filling."
"Do you use the hummus as an extra ingredient or to substitute one?"
"These are fast to make and very tastey. I definitely like them better with hummus"
"Definitely try it with hummus smeared on it."
"This sandwich is a winner! My whole family LOVED it!"