I developed this recipe in my kitchen one busy afternoon when I looked in the fridge and there wasn't much there. With no time to shop, I used what I had. Now this nice and easy dish is a suppertime standby.—Dixie Terry, Goreville, Illinois
Recommended: 50 Recipes to Make the Most of the Fall Harvest
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute broccoli and red pepper in oil. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Spoon into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. In another large bowl, combine eggs, milk, 3/4 cup cheese, thyme and salt.
- Pour over the broccoli mixture. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Cheese Squares in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p219