Veggie Cheese Squares
I developed this recipe in my kitchen one busy afternoon when I looked in the fridge and there wasn't much there. With no time to shop, I used what I had. Now this nice and easy dish is a suppertime standby.—Dixie Terry, Goreville, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute broccoli and red pepper in oil. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Spoon into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. In another large bowl, combine eggs, milk, 3/4 cup cheese, thyme and salt.
- Pour over the broccoli mixture. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 193 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 167mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Veggie Cheese Squares in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.