I developed this recipe in my kitchen one busy afternoon when I looked in the fridge and there wasn't much there. With no time to shop, I used what I had. Now this nice and easy dish is a suppertime standby.—Dixie Terry, Goreville, Illinois
Recommended: 28 Delicious Recipes for Two
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a skillet, saute the broccoli, red pepper and garlic in oil. Spoon into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, 3/4 cup cheese, thyme and salt; mix well. Pour over the broccoli mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Cheese Squares in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p219