Veggie Cheese Sandwiches
I try to keep the ingredient on hand for these toasted sandwiches. Add whatever vegetables best fit your taste, or use this recipe the next time you need to clean out the vegetable drawer of your refrigerator. -Beverly Little of Marietta, Georgia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 8 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 4 slices reduced-fat process American cheese product
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion and green pepper over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add tomato and mushrooms. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender; drain.
- Divide the vegetable mixture over four slices of bread; top with cheese and remaining bread. Butter the top and bottom of each sandwich. In a skillet, toast sandwiches until lightly browned on both sides.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 168 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 415mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Veggie and Cheese Sandwiches in Light & Tasty April/May 2006