Veggie Checkerboard Sandwiches
Our home economists use purchased eggplant hummus to hold together these mini sandwiches. Feel free to use your family's favorite veggies.
Total TimePrep: 45 min.
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 carton (7 ounces) roasted eggplant hummus
- 10 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 10 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed
- 20 cucumber slices
- 20 spinach leaves
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
- 10 slices red onion, halved
- 8 pimiento-stuffed olives, drained and patted dry
- 8 pitted ripe olives, drained and patted dry
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add hummus; beat until combined. Cut each slice of bread in half widthwise. Spread hummus mixture over 10 white bread halves and 10 wheat bread halves. Top each with cucumber, spinach, red pepper and red onion.
- Top white bread halves with remaining white bread; top wheat bread halves with remaining wheat bread. Thread toothpicks through olives; insert into 16 sandwiches.
- Arrange sandwiches on a platter or covered board to resemble a checkerboard, placing the green olive-topped sandwiches on one side, black olive-topped sandwiches on the other side and the four plain sandwiches in the center.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 112 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Veggie Checkerboard Sandwiches in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.