Veggie Calzones Recipe
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms, onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add tomatoes; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; set aside. Combine cheeses and set aside.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into eight pieces. Roll each piece into a 7-in. circle. Spoon a scant 1/2 cup of vegetable mixture and 1/4 cup of cheese mixture over one side of each circle. Brush edges of dough with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Place calzones 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk egg and water; brush over calzones. Bake 33-37 minutes or until golden brown.
Freeze option: Bake calzones 15 minutes and cool. Place in resealable freezer bags; seal and freeze up to 3 months. To use, preheat oven to 350°. Place frozen calzones 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 calzone: 503 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 953mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 23g protein.
Reviews for Veggie Calzones
"I took a bunch of these to a church pot luck, made with my favorite pizza dough recipe. A family friend asked to take one home with him for later."
"These were okay, but not the greatest. I baked them for 35 mins which seemed way too long. I suggest to start checking at about 25 mins."
"I have made this a couple of times as a freezer meal for friends having babies and they have raved about them. I like that you can individually freeze them and take them out as needed. I also add sausage or turkey sausage to them for some extra flavor. I also use my bread machine pizza dough recipe (doubled) for the dough."
"I substituted zucchini for the mushrooms and made pizza dough in the bread machine."
"These are delicious! I added olives and chilies to my recipe, with a bit of brown sugar to sweeten things up."