Veggie Beef Soup
My husband and I love this beef and vegetable-packed soup. Broccoli, turnips or peas also make a nice addition.—Marie Freigang, Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked roast beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added ketchup
- 1 tablespoon uncooked wild rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 120 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Vegetable Beef Soup in Country Woman September/October 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.