Veggie Bean Soup
From Williamson, West Virginia, Lois Dean writes, “As chairman of the kitchen at my church, I wanted a meatless soup for a Lenten lunch. I came up with this colorful vegetable recipe and got rave reviews.”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled potato
- 1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and carrots in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 171 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Jan 31, 2013
Made this just now (without the potato) ... It is absolutely delicious!!
Jan 27, 2011
This is an excellent soup. I cooked it a little longer though, more like 25 minutes. I served it with the Tuna Cheese Sandwiches in the same issue.