Veggie Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled potato
- 1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and carrots in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 171 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 31, 2013
Made this just now (without the potato) ... It is absolutely delicious!!
Jan 27, 2011
This is an excellent soup. I cooked it a little longer though, more like 25 minutes. I served it with the Tuna Cheese Sandwiches in the same issue.