Vegetarian Spinach Curry Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked couscous, optional
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, cook the onion, garlic and curry powder in oil for 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, spinach and 1 cup garbanzo beans. In a blender, combine the broth and remaining garbanzo beans; cover and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir into skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook and stir mixture is heated through. Serve over couscous if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 193 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Vegetarian Spinach Curry
"Thank you very much for sharing this. Excellent! I agree with Vicky's suggestion to add a little lemon at the end. Very healthy and tasty meal that I will cook more often for the family."
"This was so easy and soooo good even my husband liked it and requested I make it again."
"Amazing! I added a bit of lemon juice at the end, made all the difference."
"nice base recipe---i used zucchini and green peppers in stead if spinach and it was still great!"