Vegetarian Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and garlic powder in oil until tender. Add the spaghetti sauce, beans, tomatoes, sugar, salt, oregano and bay leaf.
- 2. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Drain spaghetti; top with sauce and cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 511 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 1225mg sodium, 87g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 8g fiber), 17g protein.
Reviews for Vegetarian Spaghetti
"Thank you for the great recipe. I had a craving for spaghetti, but didn't feel like having meat and didn't feel like just a plain jar of the same old sauce. So I looked up vegetarian spaghetti and found this! I changed a couple things only out of preference or what I had in hand. I'm sure the original recipe is amazing too. First I only had thin fettuccine noodles, not spaghetti noodles. Then I used fresh chopped tomatoes instead of canned, I omitted the salt and sugar, and I used canned black beans instead of garbanzo since I needed to use them up. Oh and I added chopped fresh cilantro. So good, thanks again!!!"
"Used this recipe as a guide but adapted it to use some of the things I needed to use up and for about 3 people . I replaced the ready made spaghetti sauce and tinned tomatoes with garlic and onion wth 4 cloves of garlic and some fresh thyme iand plain tinned tomatoes , (about one and a half cans. ) Added a bit of vegetable stock and fried some mushrooms and added these instead of the chick peas. Everything else is the same It tastes lovely and has quite a strong taste which we enjoy."
"This is the best spaghetti sauce I have ever tasted. I was a little nervous about serving it to my meat n' potatoes roommates, but when I told them what I was serving, and the ingredients in it, they were so excited. And, then they were even more excited that we had enough leftovers to eat the next day. I'm going to try using this sauce for a meatless lasagna. I used organic ingredients (just starting to do that more often) and the flavors are much more intense and "real.""
"Great to see a veggie recipe! Please post more!Angela"
"The recipe sounds great, I intend to make it very soon."