- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices marble rye bread
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 8 slices process Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon oil until lightly browned; remove with a slotted spoon. In the same skillet, saute spinach in remaining oil until wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Spread butter over one side of each slice of bread. Place four slices, buttered side down, on a griddle. Spread with half of the salad dressing; top each with one slice of cheese, mushrooms, spinach, sauerkraut and another slice of cheese.
- Spread remaining salad dressing over the unbuttered side of remaining bread; place buttered side up over cheese. Cook over medium heat until toasted on both sides. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forVegetarian Reubens
"A tasty twist on the classic grilled cheese. I love the mushrooms and sauerkraut combo."
"Myhusband and I are attempting to eat one meatless dinner a week. He is a big time meat and potatoes man. I made this a few weeks ago and he requested I make this again. It is very good."
"Husband didn't like spinach in sandwich and wanted more dressing but I liked it as written so we'll adapt his next time."