Vegetarian Potato au Gratin Recipe
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, saute carrots and pepper in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour, oregano and salt until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beans and 2 cups cheese until cheese is melted.
- 2. Layer half of the potatoes and sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. In a microwave, melt the remaining butter. Stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top.
- 3. Cover and bake 50-55 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 557 calories, 25g fat (16g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 749mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Vegetarian Potato au Gratin
"I liked this but will probably add a little more spices to it next time."
"I made this dish 2 days ago in honor of Meatless Monday. I am always on the lookout for meatless meals. This is definitely a keeper. Next time I will use half sweet potatoes just to give it a different twist."
"I loved this recipe. All the vegetable make it a great addition to just potatoes. It makes it more of a complete meal. I made it exactly as written except only used 8 ounces of Italian cheese blend."
"This was ok. A little bland, but everyone ate it."