Vegetarian Polka Dot Stew
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (19 ounces each) ready-to-serve tomato soup
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in the couscous, carrots, tomato, onion and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until tender and water is absorbed. Stir in the remaining ingredients; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 309 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 879mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 10g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 15, 2018
Won't be making this again.
Jun 27, 2017
Turned out delicious! Both my husband and brother loved it. Im not a fan of cooked spinach so I skipped that bit but added extra cheese. I've made this about 4 times now. Soo gooood!!
Apr 2, 2013
This recipe took seconds to make and is delicious. I couldn't believe how good and healthy it was. My husband said he liked it better the next day after the flavors married a bit. Any time I can get my husband to eat and like a vegetarian meal, is a battle won on healthy vs. husband :)
Jan 24, 2012
This recipe is good. I cooked it in a slow cooker by putting all the ingredients in except the couscous and water. I doubled the beans and added two 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes. The cooked couscous was added later.
Jun 3, 2010
I cook for a family of four twice a week... they seriously ask me to make it at least one of the nights EVERY WEEK! haha! this recipe is easy and always turns out perfect for me.i make sure to use "pearled" cous cous every time to make it more polka-dot-like.
Feb 20, 2010
Excellent meal for a weeknight. To up the appeal for my (decidedly non-vegetarian) husband, I served this over roughly crushed tortilla chips. The fresh-grated parmesan cheese over the top is a perfect finishing touch.
Feb 18, 2010
Enjoyed this stew, but there is likely enough salt from the tomato soup that you don't need to add more. I used chicken broth to cook the couscous, so it was not vegetarian (but nice an rich) at our house. The children all enjoyed this stew as well the adults.