Perfect for two and gluten-free dieters, too, this from-scratch pizza created by our Test Kitchen has a tasty crust that holds up well when you add sauce, cheese and various veggies. Plus, it's easy to prepare.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons each chopped onion, green pepper and fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the flours, xanthan gum, oil, vinegar, sugar and seasonings. Mix until a ball forms (dough will be soft).
- Sprinkle cornmeal over a 7-1/2-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Press dough onto prepared pan, building up edges slightly. Do not let rise. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Spread pizza sauce over crust. Top with onion, green pepper, mushrooms and cheese. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 223 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Pizza Crust in Cooking for 2 Fall 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.