Vegetarian Penne Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion, summer squash, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic in butter until tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the flour, seasonings and cream until smooth; add to the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Drain pasta and add to vegetable mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 143 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Vegetarian Penne
"Very nice will make again,,,,"
"I too thought the thyme was to strong....added more flour and whipping cream to drown it out...then was good so I suggest less thyme or non at all."
"I made this tonight and didn't care for it at all. I've discovered I hate Thyme. After the first bite I tried adding more sauce because it was so dry but nothing drowned out the strong taste of the thyme."
"I love this recipe - easy and so good. I didn't change a thing. Thanks. I will be making it again."
"This is sooo good. My boys decided they wanted to go vegetarian for a month, and I could really lose some weight. While I was making this I thought it would be good with parmesan cheese, but I tasted it first. No need to add cheese."
"I did double the sauce ingredients (flour, seasonings and cream) because I had added close to twice the veggies the recipe called for. Came out perfect! We will be making this one a lot!"
"This dish is excellent. My family requests it every week. Wouldn't change a thing!"
"This is delicious. I doubled the thyme and everyone loved it."
"This recipe is absolutely delicious! I added some chopped bell peppers and since I ran out of thyme, I added some tarragon. Wonderful!"
"This was so delicious! I omitted the parsley and doubled the cream and mushrooms. A wonderful addition to my meatless monday recipe collection!"
"I made this using 1/2 C. fat-free half-and-half instead of the cream, and it was still really good!"
"My husband and I both loved this. Followed recipe to the T and sprinkled with red pepper flakes at the table to add a little kick. Delicious!!"
"Very tasty, simple to prepare and everyone loved it!"
"I doubled the cream and left out the garlic. Added some red peppers to the veggies. And added parmesan cheese to the sauce. Very good! Even the kids gobbled it down!"
"This was absolutely delicious. Made exactly as recipe states and it was amazing!"
"I loved it!!!!"
"Can't wait to try this one!MW - OK"
"MMM this sounds good. Copying to try."