Vegetarian Nut Loaf
"When I made this moist and tasty loaf for my vegetarian friends one Thanksgiving, they all took the recipe home with them," says Sherry Barber from Whittier, California. "To save time, I chop many of the ingredients a day ahead and store them in resealable plastic bags until baking day. I can't tell you how wonderful this loaf is.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs (about 6 slices)
- In a nonstick skillet, saute onions, mushrooms and green pepper in butter until tender. In a bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, carrots, celery, eggs, walnut, sunflower kernels, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Stir in bread crumbs:
- Coat a 9x5-in. loaf pan with cooking spray, then line with waxed paper. Transfer vegetable mixture to a prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 223 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Vegetarian Nut Loaf in Light & Tasty October/November 2004