Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme and pepper
- 1 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, celery and garlic in oil until softened. Add the mushrooms; cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings; simmer for 10 minutes. In a bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg, parsley and salt.
- Drain noodles. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with four noodles, half of the cottage cheese mixture, half of the spinach, a third of the remaining sauce and a third of the mozzarella. Repeat layers.
- Top with remaining noodles, sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer. Let lasagna stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 190 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 464mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Jul 15, 2009
First of all only 3 lasagna noodles fit across the baking dish, and I needed at least 2 cups of mozza cheese to barely do the job, so I dont know how 1 cup can stretch into 3 layers that would be very skimpy, I mixed the parmesan cheese into the cottage cheese mixture just like a recipe I used back in high school, I also added red pepper to the mushroom mixture. I'll see how it turns out when its baked.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.