Our Test Kitchen home economists created this recipe for a flavorful sandwich that blends fresh herbs and three kinds of cheese.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 2 teaspoons each shredded Swiss, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh dill or 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, separated
- 4 frozen bread dough rolls, thawed
- Fresh dill sprigs, optional
- In a skillet, saute the onion, red pepper and mushrooms in oil until tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the spinach, cheeses, seasonings and egg white; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball of dough into a 5-in. circle. Spoon a fourth of vegetable mixture onto the center of each circle to within 1 in. of edge. Fold dough over filling; pinch edged to seal.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Place a fresh dill sprig on each if desired. Beat egg yolk and brush over tops. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 419 calories, 21g fat (4g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 478mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Veggie Calzones in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.