- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a saucepan, bring the onion, garlic and 1/4 cup broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the beans, potato, thyme, cumin and remaining broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and hot pepper sauce; heat through. Sprinkle with green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forVegetarian Black Bean Soup
"My sister made this for me because I didn't know if I liked black beans or not. I do. They aren't my favorite food, but I like them enough to make this soup for myself."
"I have made this soup several times and love it. However, I added more hot sauce, a small can of black olives, and a small can of sliced mushrooms. I think it would be good with some fresh portabello mushrooms instead."
"I would add more hot sauce and more green onion. Good soup!"
"Tastey but not memorable."
"You can substitute sweet potato for the regular potato with equally tasty results."