Vegetarian Bean and Rice Chili
This recipe teams with hearty kidney and pinto beans and a variety of colorful vegetables for a deliciously healthy meatless meal. Your family is sure to love it.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- In a Dutch oven, saute green pepper, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until rice is cooked, stirring occasionally. If thinner chili is desired, add additional water.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 191 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Vegetarian Chili in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook