Vegetables in Puff Pastry
Fresh vegetables and beans in a tasty tomato sauce make a hearty main dish. As an alternative, serve over pasta instead of in pastry shells.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen puff pastry shells
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) fresh sugar snap peas
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen lima beans, thawed
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, bring the water to boil. Add carrots and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add peas; cook for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute leek and garlic in butter until leek is crisp-tender. Add the tomato puree, tomatoes, sugar, oregano, pepper and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Add the lima beans and carrot mixture; cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are heated through. Remove tops from pastry shells; fill with vegetable mixture.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 446 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 721mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 12g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Vegetables in Puff Pastry Shells in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.