"Although it uses many of the same ingredients found in typical stuffings, my family enjoys this version because the wild rice provides a different texture," shares Edie DeSpain of Logan, Utah.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Add the wild rice, salt and thyme. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add mushrooms; saute 5 minutes longer. Stir in vegetables and long grain rice to wild rice. Cover and cook for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in parsley. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Wild Rice Stuffing in Quick Cooking December 2000, p61