Vegetable Swiss Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 15 crackers)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place carrots in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower; steam 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in cream, bouillon, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese.
- Pour over vegetables and stir to coat. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Jun 27, 2013
Both my husband and I really enjoyed this veggie casserole. In his words, "The vegetables were amazing. Definitely make them again." I made one little change - used shredded Colby Jack cheese instead of the Swiss.
Sep 15, 2012
I LOVED this recipe! We don't like m-rooms so I sauteed diced sweet onions instead. I had to also omit the c-flower due to I didn't have any. I used fresh carrots, frozen doesn't taste good to me & frozen broccoli & I steamed them w/some butter in my Ziploc steamer bags. So easy! I didn't have white pepper so I used black instead & I also added a little more onion powder & some salt to it, just cause it tasted like it needed a little more flavor. I also melted a little bit of butter to my cracker crumbs topping. The only thing I would do different next time is to make a little bit more of the cheesy white sauce. It just barely coated my veggies. I will DEF be making this again! It was also very easy to make! My whole family loved it! It also reheated well the next day for leftovers! Can also be made a day ahead too, to save time!
Nov 16, 2011
My family loved this recipe! I made a few changes due to lack of ingredients -- I omitted the mushrooms and used just a mixture of carrots, cauliflower and broccoli. I had Chicken in the Biscuit crumbs for the topping. It turned out great and we will definitely have it again! Great recipe!
Dec 27, 2010
Made this again this year for Christmas dinner, but I used Pepper Jack instead of Swiss this time. Was a hit again really good with either cheese.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.