Vegetable-Stuffed Baked Onions
Stuffed with carrots, red pepper, diced bacon and bread crumbs, these elegant baked onions will dress up any special-occasion meal. My mother often pulled out this recipe when company was coming.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 8 to 10 medium onions, peeled
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- Cut 1/2 in. off the top of each onion; trim bottom so onion sits flat. Scoop out center, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Chop remaining onion; set aside 1/2 cup (discarding remaining onion or save for another use). Place onion shells in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In same skillet, saute the chopped onion, carrots and red pepper in drippings for 8 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the bread crumbs, parsley, butter, salt, pepper and reserved bacon.
- Drain onion shells; fill each with about 1/3 cup vegetable mixture. Place in an ungreased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Pour broth over onions. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until heated through.