- 1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional beef broth
- Sprinkle steak with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown steak in batches in oil over medium heat. Add the broth, potatoes, water, carrots, onion soup mix, basil, tarragon and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and wine or additional broth until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forVegetable Steak Soup
"Great flavor! Everyone liked this dish. Will probably add different vegetables next time in place of some of the potatoes and carrots for added flavor and fewer carbs."
"I made just a few small changes. I sprinkled the meat with a bit of salt and garlic powder, as well as some pepper before browning it. I made my broth with "Better than Bouillon" soup base instead of the suggested beef broth, added more carrots, used half the amount of basil and 1/4 c. white wine & 1/4 c. water with the cornstarch. I was pleased with the outcome. We had it with Broccoli Cornbread."