Vegetable Soup with Beef
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup chopped peeled turnip
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until heated through. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 176 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 939mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 15, 2012
This is good soup. Not terribly exciting but good flavor and hearty. I added fresh corn and used my own homemade beef stock. Will make again for sure
Aug 29, 2011
The beer taste was too strong.
May 8, 2011
I used an Orange Blossom Cream Ale because that was what we had in the fridge. I also added a cup of frozen peas and a cup of frozen corn. Coarsely chopped the onion, carrots and celery in the food processor and added oregano. It had a very sweet flavor to the broth. I also used ground turkey. This is a keeper. Serve with yeast rolls to soak up the broth and it's devine!
Jul 12, 2010
This recipe was very tasty and my husband is not allowed tomato or tomato products so this was great.
Feb 10, 2010
I'd suggest looking for a different beef & vegetable soup recipe. There are so many out there... and I was disappointed with this one. I thought it would be great, and the beer seemed like a great ingredient. However, the broth was not satisfying, all four people in our family disliked this dish.