Vegetable Rice Mix
In Alamosa, Colorado, Marjorie Carey puts together this easy rice mixture flavored with vegetable soup mix. Each batch makes a pretty side dish when you're in a hurry.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes2-3 servings per batch
- 4 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 package (1.4 ounces) vegetable soup mix
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried sweet red or green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 4 batches (4 cups total).
- To prepare rice: In a saucepan, combine water, butter and 1 cup rice mix. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 165 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 541mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable Rice Mix in Quick Cooking November/December 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.