Vegetable Rice Casserole
"This is my family's favorite side dish any tome of year. It's especially good when fresh produce is in season," says Marcia Nelson from Ponca City, Oklahoma. Brown sugar adds a hint of sweetness to the rice and layered vegetables in this colorful casserole.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced
- 1 pound yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Spread the rice into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with zucchini, yellow squash, onion and half of the basil; top with green pepper, celery and tomatoes. Combine the brown sugar, salt and pepper; sprinkle over vegetables. Drizzle with oil. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until tender. Sprinkle with remaining basil.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 122 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Apr 14, 2014
Enjoyed this easy dish. Adapted it for the stovetop as I did not want to use the oven and heat up the house. I used a can of diced tomatoes but everything else was as written. Served it with chicken but it would be good with anything.