VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 small zucchini or yellow summer squash, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 medium potato, peeled, cooked and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the squash, green pepper, broccoli and carrot in boiling water until crisp-tender; drain. Stir in the potato.
- Spoon into two greased ovenproof 10-oz. custard cups or casseroles. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, milk, garlic salt and pepper until smooth. Cook for 2-3 minutes, gradually adding the cheese in small amounts; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley and walnuts. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Ramekins in Taste of Home February/March 1998, p10