Vegetable Pasta Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper and celery in oil until vegetables are tender. Add olives and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Dissolve bouillon in hot water; add to vegetable mixture. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, basil, oregano, salt if desired and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 77 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 631mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 17, 2010
We eliminated the olives & substituted 1 can southwestern diced tomatoes (instead of 1 big can plain diced tomatoes) to give it some zip. Yummy!
Sep 30, 2009
I eliminated the celery, because we don't like it in sauce. Use Kosher salt. You need less this way,
Sep 30, 2009
There are just 2 of us, I imagine this would freeze or keep in the fridge. We live in our RV so no room for large crowds, but may use for potlucks.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.