- 4 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground round or chuck
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring water to boil. Add potatoes, carrots, onion and seasonings; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine beef, bread crumbs, egg and Worcestershire sauce. Shape into 1-in. balls; add to Dutch oven along with sweet potatoes and parsnips. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Stir in peas. Combine flour and cold water; stir into stew along with browning sauce if desired. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forVegetable Meatball Stew
"This stew is wonderful on a cool Fall or Winter day. I have a large family, so we double the recipe. We love this paired with homeade breadsticks. Thanks for the recipe, it's delicious!!"
"I tried this for my family last Saturday night and they loved it!!! I added some ground deer meat too, and it was fabulous!! I also used long green beans instead of the peas and that was also great!! Thanks for an awesome recipe!!!!!!!!!!!"