Vegetable Lover’s Minestrone
This soup is delicious, nourishing and just the thing for warming up on a cool evening. —Debbi Wolf, Dover, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine, optional
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sugar
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the carrots, celery, garlic, salt, oregano, basil and pepper. Cover and cook for 8 minutes. Add the water, tomato puree, beans, green pepper and wine, if desired; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley and sugar; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 144 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 609mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable Lovers Minestrone in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.