- 4 cups reduced-sodium V8 or tomato juice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 15 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in spinach; heat through. Combine topping ingredients; dollop about 1 tablespoon on each serving. Yield: 13 servings.
Reviews forVegetable Lentil Stew
"I don't particularly like vegetarian meals like this, but this was really good with excellent flavor."
"I have been making this vegetable lentil stew for over 10 years and I love this comfort food. It is so satisfying and filling that your family will not miss meat in this recipe. I add more chili powder and cumin as we like it a bit more spicy, and I serve it with homemade oat dinner rolls. I believe this recipe is also on this website."
"Simple. healthy. Delicious. When I brought it to work for lunch, a co-worker smelled it coming out of the microwave and asked for the recipe. I'll add a little more spice next time."