- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- In a large skillet, saute vegetables and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add chicken; cook until lightly browned. Add broth; bring to a boil. Add the potatoes, peas and parsley. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in soup until smooth. Add hot pepper sauce. Stir into vegetable mixture. Transfer to pastry shell.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine buttermilk, applesauce and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Drop by spoonfuls over filling. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown (if necessary, cover edges loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning). Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forVegetable Chicken Potpie
"After rating this I realized I did not note that 1/2 the topping recipe is plenty, it is thick!"